Print

Author Topic: Fort Qu'Appelle Winter Festival from the past video clips  (Read 9482 times)

Offline wildman

• View Profile
Fort Qu'Appelle Winter Festival from the past video clips
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:28 pm »
Just caught my eye on the 6:00 CTV news, they showed some short clips from the orig Fort festival days, if you watch this link, @ 1:26-1:29 they show an oval race there was a '71 Roll-O-Flex "The Wild-One" Comanche, anyone recognize him? and a '72 RUPP Nitro (99.9% sure that was my uncle Ron/Arco Sports, Regina)  only problem, it's only 3 seconds long :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I'd sure like to see that full video!! proves there is some hidden Sask racing footage out there yet :D Gosh I can remember going there as a kid and watching the drag and ovals run there.
Here's the video courtesy... CTV Regina (PS> There is a 30 second sponser commercial at the beginning)
http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=871246&binId=1.1165847&playlistPageNum=1
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:15:15 pm by wildman »

Offline GLAZE96

• View Profile
Re: Fort Qu'Appelle Winter Festival from the past video clips
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:31:56 am »
Not sure. Don't remember that gold helment. But I bet if we call CTV, they may have more video that could be put on a DVD. I'll call on Monday.
Regina, Sask. 6 kids...OMG!!!!! lol
Grew up around sleds and Roll-O-Flex.
hope to own one soon.

Offline GLAZE96

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:46:54 am »
Sent CTV a email asking. Will let you know when I hear something.
hope to own one soon.

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:25:22 pm »
 :)  That's awesome! Looks like a good running R.O.F.  Thanks Glaze96!!

Offline GLAZE96

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:44:02 pm »
After sending the email, I started to think. I have seen this before. So here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdEkUfs4R-Q
 Go to 1:28
hope to own one soon.

Offline Gene5696

• A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:14:42 pm »
Not sure. I don't remember that gold helment. But I bet if we call CTV, they may have more video that could be put on a DVD. I'll call on Monday.
If my old memory serves me correctly.... I think that is Barry Thuen with the gold colored helmet. Maybe he can respond to confirm if it is or isn't.
Gene.

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »
Thanks gentlemen! I'm going to try and capture that clip and see if I can get that pic in one frame and see if we can read the # on the sled, thanks again.

Offline tuna

• 340 modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:49 am »
Hi All,
  Yes Gene,
    I did have a gold helmet, in fact I still have it only painted black with a  "Z" emblem that I changed when I went to work for Arctic Cat in 1974. I clearly remember racing at Fort Qu'appelle and also remember a fellow from Nipawin that (after some late night partying at the Country Squire after the races) ripped up some carpeting in the hallway of the hotel with his Arctic Cat. I don't recognize the number in the video.I wished I had a diary of my experiences in the early 70s . There were so many great times and events. Gene do you remember hitting the sign post between Bismarck and Minot in a cross country race or Brad crashing in Weyburn? I remember him singing in the hospital in Weyburn after being heavily sedated with many broken bones.Another devastating crash in Swift Current ( on the horse racing track) Gerry Bandas hitting one of the posts on the inside of the track.   Barry
Barry Thuen

Offline GLAZE96

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:35:44 pm »
No reply to my request on more video from CTV. Will keep trying.
hope to own one soon.

Offline saskmade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:11 pm »
Hi Barry  The guy trying to remove the carpet with his cat in the hotel would of been Ron Forseth of nipawin . He would also try climbing stairs with his cat. I heard he has slowed down a bit since then ! 

Offline Gene5696

• A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41:18 am »
Hi Barry  The guy trying to remove the carpet with his cat in the hotel would of been Ron Forseth of nipawin . He would also try climbing stairs with his cat. I heard he has slowed down a bit since then ! 
Wow, Ron Forseth, a name from the past for sure.The "nite-time-antics" stories are endless I'm sure. But reading that one reminds me of another....
This was even before the ROF days, my guess would be 1968. I was mechanic'ing for the Ski Doo team owned by Doug Catling (Regina dealer) The event was waaay up in Lac Laronge (?), a two day event held on the local lake. I was reluctant to make that long drive up there, especially knowing how frigid the temperature would be. So, along with my tool box I was flown up there in a small Cessna 172 plane by Glenn Far, a neighbour of mine on the farm. The Ski Doo team rode up in a crew-cab truck towing a huge trailer with about 6 sleds. We actually flew over them on our way tipping our wings waving at them. It took us about a total of 3+ hours for our flight, it must have taken the team 7+ hours, maybe more. Anyway, after the first days racing the nite time hotel parties would begin. Skip Dark was one of our team drivers. He couldn't have been much more than legal drinking age. His Ski Doo that he raced was a 292 Rotax.... I had modified the engine "big-time" and he won most times that he raced it. For an exhaust I just used a megaphone type pipe that barely came outside the cab on the right side. A group of us were in my hotel room (which was on the second floor) having a quiet visit... all of a sudden the horrendous noise of a megaphoned 292 could be heard AND it sounded very close... I opened the room door just in time to see the long hallway rug go scooting by at great speed. I looked down the hall to the left to see that Skip had his machine sorta wedged in the outside door entrance from an outside stair case. He was sorta wedged there and couldn't get the sled all the way inside soooo he just poured on the throttle and all the happened was .... the cleated track grabbed the rug and just proceeded to wind it up and throw it outside the hotel, out and down onto the parking lot below. Well, needless to say the hotel manager wasn't too impressed. It took Doug Catling (the senior and mature one of the group) well over an hour to convince the manager AND the local R.C.M.P. to let us pay for the damage AND let us stay the rest of the night under the condition that after the races were over the next day we would leave town and NOT return. I'm now wondering if Ron Forseth was there that weekend as well.
The races the next day went well but it was nearly dark by the time the races were over.... We went and talked the hotel manager into letting us stay over one more night because a snow storm was forcasted to close in and driving (and flying) would be too dangerous. He allowed us to stay and we made sure Skip and the rest all behaved themselves for the night.
Monday a.m. everybody was ready to go home.... away went the team in the big truck and trailer. Glenn and I took a taxi out to the airport to our plane. Now, of course it was a zillion below 0 PLUS wind chill !!We get the plane loaded and ready to go..... Glenn hits the started button... the engine barely groans !!! I immediately get cold chills thinking OH NO !!! we're stuck here for the rest of the freaking Winter !!
Glenn says... Not to worry, we'll just "prop-start" the engine. I was afraid to ask what that meant.... he showed me how simple it would be.... after he gave me a brief lesson he gets back in the plane opens the side window and yells "OK pull !!" Now picture this, I'm standing on slippery ice or snow, I'm gonna pull down hard on this 8 foot prop and "hope" I don't slip into the prop. All of a sudden was thinking 2 more months in LaRonge may not be a bad idea.... I pulled that #%&* prop at least 4 times and no signs of life yet. Now I'm in a cold sweat....and  feeling lucky that I still had a head let alone limbs. Finally it fired up.... I got into the cab still sweating bullets, we sat there idling warming things up and we took off about 45 Min's later and all was good. We basically followed the highway south to P.A. and did see the truck and trailer below and again we dipped down, tipped our wings and headed home.
We survived another weekend, rested up and headed to who-knows-where the next weekend.
Gene.  

Offline wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:24 pm »
Thanks for checking guys :)
Well I have been digging and can't seem to find anything either, tried to save that video so I could clip a frame or 2 but my particular flash player downloading tool says it's copyrighted  ::)
did stumble upon a couple of other things though, will scan and post, I heard of that Cat guy too from my forefather's LOL.. Also the local Ford, and at the time Ski-Doo dealer (Carnduff Motors, Yorkton) Drove (jumped) a Ski-Doo Blizzard  over their tilt bed trailer and through the back window of their staion wagon, must have been a somewhat of a wild weekend ???  :-\

Print