Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1974 Sno Pro 340 - factory racer  (Read 11191 times)
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:10 PM »

Many of you will have seen the picture of Gene on his 1974 Wild One Sno Pro sled that was one of two sleds hand built by the boys at the factory.  There was a 340 which Gene raced and also 440 in the bottom picture which was piloted by Barry Thuen.

One of these sleds was located almost 2 years ago for me by Mike Stratychuk.  Well as of today I am the proud owner of Gene's 340 Sno Pro.  This is how it sat outside in northern Saskatchewan, disguised as a run of the mill fan cooled Wild One but with a Polaris TX free air in side.  This machine was parked may times outside a local coffe shop where the old owner used it to go for coffee at the local hangout.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »

Here is sits in Mike's shop before I took possession.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:58:08 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »

In these pictures you will notice trick parts like the aluminum steering hoop/ belly pan support.  Aluminum skis with friction shocks, aluminum Texas Industries rear suspension, aluminum cleated track along with a tunnel that is thinner than the stock gauge aluminum.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »

Much to my excitement, the motor plate has one set of motor mount holes in it (if you disregard the 2 small ones in the center fot he TX motor).  The only set of mounting holes in this motor plate perfectly accept a Yamaha free air motor, ala; Yamaha GPX or Sno-Jet Thunder Jet.  You can also see how the motor is laid over and very low in the chassis.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »

after reviewing the sled for an hour we noticed a hidden decal under the Suzuki decal on the clutch side of the hood.  Here is what we found

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »

The hood on this sled is all hand laid glass and is the thinnest hood and belly pan I have ever seen.  The reproduction glass we have available is very light compared tot he orginal production ones, but this glass is rediculously light.  Not even 1/8" thick.  I would say it is 1/16" to 3/32" thick. 

All I can say is that I am very proud to own this machine and a very big thanks to Mike Stratychuk for finding it for me.  Now the work begins

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 02:24:32 AM »

Where is the Woody's decal?

Where The Wild Ones Are.
GLAZE96

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »

WOW, great to see it again.

Regina, Sask. 6 kids...OMG!!!!! lol
Grew up around sleds and Roll-O-Flex.
hope to own one soon.
saskmade

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »

Way to go Richard !! This will be a really cool restoration. Let me know when your ready for a snoflap and foot pads. For this project,there will be no charge.
Louis
wildman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »

HOLY $*&^#@!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin congrats gentlemen  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:00:24 PM by wildman » Logged
GLAZE96

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »

Can't wait to see when dad here's about this.

Regina, Sask. 6 kids...OMG!!!!! lol
Grew up around sleds and Roll-O-Flex.
hope to own one soon.
rolloflex194

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »

Just pure awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLEXING THE MUSCLE!
Gene5696

A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »

The hood on this sled is all hand laid glass and is the thinnest hood and belly pan I have ever seen.  The reproduction glass we have available is very light compared to the original production ones, but this glass is ridiculously light.  Not even 1/8" thick.  I would say it is 1/16" to 3/32" thick. 

All I can say is that I am very proud to own this machine and a very big thanks to Mike Stratychuk for finding it for me.  Now the work begins
Wow !!! Way to go Richard !! Looking closely at the pictures I can say "this is the little beauty" ... it wasn't it's fault that it broke my hip and leg... !! I'm kinda glad to see the Woody's decal is gone because, they really didn't give me much help and for most of that season I used studs and carbide's by --> http://www.weatherillacs.com/about_us.html Also I can see that this track does have the Titanium cleats I used vs. Extruded Aluminum as the other track or spare track showed. Also the front axle gussets to support the widened ski stance were used only on the two sleds I made. Which, was the widest that I could go with using the stock belly pan and hood.
That "hidden decal" would have been what Barry Thuen would have used AFTER my accident in 1974 and I was in the hospital. The track and suspension, by the way, were bought from Aaen Engineering, not Texas Industries. That bottle of beer, must be Barry's haha...
To me it looks like that motor is tilted forward too much to allow a proper angle for the exhaust. That could be corrected easily by just reducing the angle of the plate on that section only. The motors I used in 1974 were Kohler free air, with the bottom mount area being 90* to the crank.
Take your time restoring it Richard... and will look forward to seeing the results.
Gene Glaze.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: