Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: superflexion suspension  (Read 4481 times)
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »

I hope that Wade and/or Gene can enlighten me on the super flexion rear skid.  I have a few questions about it.

1) Was is developed by Roll-O-Flex?

2) If it was, then how was it develpoed or thought of in the first place?

I only ask because I noticed that Auto Ski was using the exact same rear suspension on their sleds which they stopped producing in 1974 as well, but they came back in 1976 as Pro Am with the same rear suspension.

A friend of mine found 2 Pro Am sleds here is Saskatchewan and we were discussing the sleds and the mis match brands worth of parts that were sued to assemble these machines.

Personally I am a huge fan of the super flexion suspension as it is perfect for grass racing and it transfers weight very well.  I am not familiar at all with Scorpion but they had a similar design with their Para-Rail rear suspension.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »

I know they invented it, and patented it on February 19, 1974. It was US patent number US3792743. Click on the attachment below and open with Adobe Reader.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:25:52 PM by WildOne » Logged

Where The Wild Ones Are.
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:22:17 AM »

thanks Arlen.  I did see that it was applied for in 1972 though.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
Gene5696

A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »

Good questions Richard...
1) Yes it was developed by Roll-O-Flex. It probably took us 2 years to get it to the point of being ready for production. Due to our inherent tunnel design we were pretty well committed to the all rubber track. We did change to the involute drive track and sprockets which was a big improvement. We saw the need for more suspension travel to give better high speed control over rough riding conditions.
2) How was it developed or who thought of it in the first place? .... We all agreed (in 1971) that the conventional "boggie-wheel" system was obsolete and yet still used by most everybody except Arctic and Polaris. So away we went... the target was basically ...(a)"6 or more inches of travel" (b) involve shock absorbers. (c) Transfer weight to the track on hard acceleration.
I have to give Larry Mauws (R & D) full credit for his untiring enthusiasm for this project. Larry wasn't the best craftsman but he sure could come up with the great ideas. Larry liked "playing" with his ideas as long as he had somebody to do the "doing". As long as we could keep him supplied with the right materials, he was happy. Grass-dragging was our straight-line tests and us winning several events proved us to be on the right track.
Our vendor for suspension parts was a company in Sherbrook Que. They were also a major supplier to other SM manufacturers. I'll never forget one of the owners... Ray Morrisette, he was very impressed with what we had come up with. His input was priceless in getting this suspension viable for production.
3) How a few other sled companies got to use it was.... When the SM industry started to decline we 
took Ray's advice and on his own he seeked other sled company's to buy the system from us also paying a royalty
Yes we patented the name and the system, BUT protecting the patent is the expensive part. So the idea got out and the rest is history.
On how we came up with the name is a whole other story.... Maybe next July would be a good time to go into that story with others to have their input as well. Oh by-the-way Richard... this all back/grey format sux... having my nose on the screen to read it properly is hard on the back... haha
Keep up the good work.....
Gene Glaze   
wc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »

Sorry for the slow response on this one
   The super flexion was developed in house at Roll-O-Flex. It was tested by our racing team drivers, Gene, Larry Barry, Brad, Sid, and myself. The suspension was incorporated into our racing machines for the 1971 season. The prototype suspensions had some interesting peculiarities. My favorite was as follows. On my 440 racer I would run the front coils a little tight and the rear springs loose. I also increased the front arm travel. Under full throttle I could transfer the weight to cause the suspension to toggle and hold the skies off the ground about 18” for as long as I held the throttle on. I could hold the skies up the length of any straight away that I raced on, and steered by standing and leaning.  I thought that this really “Cool.” Sometimes looking “Cool” was more important than winning the race. The fan on my 440 CCW when revving 8000 rpm screamed like a turbo. Many times after races spectators would come to the pits to see the “Turbo” powered machine that could pull the skies the length of the straight away. I loved it!
   Wade
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »

Thanks for the info Wade, and another great story.

Where The Wild Ones Are.
rolloflex194

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »

So was the flexion an option in 72?  Would the GRT's have had the flexion? 

FLEXING THE MUSCLE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: