Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1972 Apache 292 - Resto Mod  (Read 15568 times)
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »

Here is the sled we started with today at 1pm. I actually drove it into the shop at ten to one

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:46:40 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »

here are some pics of when we were working on it.  By 4pm (3 hours later) you can see where we finished.  Had a beer (and a pepsi) with a pile of parts

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:47:51 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »

a few changes to the apache are going to happen.  Deleting the steel rear bumper in favour for a custom made aluminum one.  New front bulkhead all aluminum to save some weight.  new fuel tank that is also aluminum.  Aluminum rails for the superflexion.  aluminum steering brace.  a new GT seat. hinge delete on the hood, it will now be a lift off hood with 4 rubber tie downs. probably going to have new handle bar controls, maybe off a early to mid 80's skidoo.  probably mikuni upgrade too.  Hope to have it ready for the shows in late july.  Sending the hood and seat out this upcoming week.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
rolloflex194

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »

I STILL HAVE THEM APACHE DECALS!!  I GOTTA GET THEM UP TO YA!!  I BUILT AN ALUMINUM BULKHEAD FOR A 72 FOR OVAL RACING, DIDNT LAST LONG!  WAS TOO LIGHT! NO SKI PRESSURE!! 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:59:43 AM by rolloflex194 » Logged

FLEXING THE MUSCLE!
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »

mine is going to be boxed in on the pcs between the crossmember and the tunnel.  should be strong enough for this 292.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »

yeah if you can send the decals up that would be great.  I forgot all about them and was going to take the hood in tomorrow to get them done.  I am going to get all the wood grain done I think though.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »

got the sides and center pieces of the pan all riveted back together with solid aluminum rivets so they are stronger and look alot nicer too.  I put new aluminum skins on the side pieces and they are getting painted the same colour as the hood.  Most of everything is painted and ready to be re-asssembled.  I just have to finish the fab on the bulkhead and weld it all up and then rivet to the tunnel.  Hopefully this weekend I can get it together and post some pics for you guys

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
340tnt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:35:32 AM »

Your dedicated Richard, I should wrench on a sled for the summer shows or to use next winter. Or fix my ratty house, or at least finish the bathroom project from several years ago.
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »

here are some pics of the new bulkhead.  not quite done yet.  Still needs some gussets at the spindle tubes, steering support and foot holds.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:49:36 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

one thing for sure, my welding skills have gone down hill since I do not do it for a living anymore.  Not real happy with a few of the welds.  They will hold but just don't look perfect.

it weighs less than half of what the steel one does.  Once I finish all the other pieces on it I expect it to be right around half of the weight of the steel bulkhead.  The plan is to drop 30lbs off this machine.  I want it to be under 300lbs when all done.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »

Looks great Richard, I am getting all my stuff done here by a friend of mine. What are you doing for the seat? I just picked up a 74 GT 340 SS and a 74 GT 440 SS and they will both need seats. Think we can get the purple material? Will CC be able to make them?

Where The Wild Ones Are.
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »

the seat on this sled was a GT seat with black material so it is getting redone in black but adding white piping as an accent.  CC would probably do them but I found out that the neighbors wife does upholstery work out of her basement so I am trying out her work.  Purple heat pleat may be hard to find, which is why I went with black.  Should be cheaper than CC too and her work (from what I saw) llooks great.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »

Got a whole bunch done today and yesterday.  The bulkhead is now riveted on and then we sprayed the running boards with Linex.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:50:46 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 09:46:27 PM »

I also got the new fuel tank all done and ready to be mounted in the chassis once the belly pan is back on.  It turned out real well in the end.  I wasn't initially happy with how the pieces fit together.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:51:43 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

I also got the new rear bumper made and installed on the chassis.  after that my dad gave me a hand and we got eh drive shaft in and the track and chaincase all buttoned up.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:52:10 PM by _FIII » Logged

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: