Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luquid-cooled Wild One  (Read 3940 times)
wc

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »

Liquid-cooled  Wild One
In the 1973 season Jerry Bandas, who had raced, test drove, and worked off and on for Roll-o-Flex, opened his own shop and became a Roll-o-Flex dealer. His shop was down 8th Ave. about 5 blocks from Roll-o-Flex. I used to spend a fair bit of time there with him. This one day when I went into his shop, he was working on a 292 Yamaha cylinder block. He had knocked all fins off except the top and bottom fins and was fabricating a jacket to weld onto the block to make a liquid-cooled engine. His explanation to stabilize cylinder temps made sense.
 He was also working on a narrow, 10 inch wide single sprocket drive really short track chassis, with radiused cleats and a tall suspension that almost looked like a wheel. For the front Jerry wanted to use motorcycle front forks spaced about 18 inches apart for independent front suspension. The machine stood nearly as tall as a motor cycle. His intentions were to ride this thing more like a motor cycle than a snowmobile. He wanted to use the liquid-cooled 292 in this machine. I think that this idea would have worked well on the packed snow tracks that we used to race on.
At that time Jerry and I shared information - I did machining and welding for him even though, at different times Jerry worked for Polaris and Skidoo. Jerry felt that his ideas would go to Roll-o-Flex. It was just that he tended to march to a different drum beat and needed to work on his own.
Sadly,  Jerry’s shop was completely destroyed by a fire. Gone was the skinny track machine with the liquid-cooled engine.
  Wade

_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »

Wade, was this after the debut of the Jim Adema liquid 292?

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
wc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »

Richard  I don't know of this Jim Adema. There was a Sno Jet racer from Estivan Jim Barnstable I think his name was, that was really quick on his Thunder Jets with Yamaha engines that might have inspired Jerry.
  Wade
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:09:27 PM by wc » Logged
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »

Jim Adema was the factory sno jet racer that made his own liquid 292 single and was later killed racing.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: