Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gene was the Master  (Read 5828 times)
wc

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:21 AM »

Gene Was the Master
  In the summer of 1971 having worked with this old man racer, Gene,  for ½ a year, his 32 years seemed ancient to me at 25. Gene had been very generous sharing his racing secrets and knowledge with me, which had helped me have a successful and satisfying snowmobile racing season. During our discussions about racing he mentioned that he raced Karts “go carts”. He was defending Canadian Champion in a couple of classes. This was interesting, but he really caught my attention when he told me that he had been clocked at 124.25 MPH in the last 10 minutes of a “ C “open Enduro race at west Wood in Vancouver. This was dual 125 cc engines on alcohol, on a road course for an hour race.
He was going to a race in Vancouver  the next weekend.  He was going to check his Karts out at the Kings Park Stock Car track at Boggy Creek  just outside of Regina  and asked if I would  like to go along.   OK!  I’m with you, Gene.
His “C” open Kart was unbelievable. You lay down in it to drive, with your legs scrunched up around the steering wheel. The engines were one on each side of your head. The engines were attached to a Margay Quick Change gearbox. 4 bolts, remove a little cover, exchange a gear cartridge, you could   change your drive ratio in a couple of seconds, and not lose any oil out of your gear case. We later hoped to use this style of gear box on the snowmobiles.
  The Kart had a full width aluminum spoiler on the front. Also a spoiler above your head that could be tilted to increase down force with a leaver on the steering wheel. On each side were 6 gallon full length aluminum fuel tanks. The most amazing part was, Gene asked if I would like to drive it. Lucky for me, I just happened to have my helmet along with me. We changed the gearing to do about 90MPH.  Gene took it on the track, checked it out, adjusted the 4 carbs, came back in and said “Your turn”. He started   one engine, for a beginner, and out onto the track I went;  this thing could really motor with one engine. After a few laps Gene waved me in and lit the other engine. The Kart now changed its personality.  It got nasty and it seemed  to want to tear your head off when you really got on it.  It was insanely fast; I just had to have one.
  That weekend Gene was off to West Wood in Vancouver to race - and won.  I went to Edmonton and bought a used Rupp Dual Enduro Kart. The next week Gene sold me one of his 100cc McCulloch engines; I would race 100cc box stock class. Together we blue-printed the engine, bored it out .005, put it together and the next week we headed to Edmonton for my first race, the Canadian Championship races at the Speedway Park 1 ½ mile road course.
  This was a 2 day event with practice Saturday, races Sunday. All day Saturday I putted around, and with 10 minutes to the track closing, Gene suggested that it might be a good idea to get some track time in. I got out in time to get 2 very cautious laps in; I could tell Gene was not to impressed. Sunday up and at it; Gene had two karts and was entered in 3 races, 100cc Modified Heavy, 100cc Modified Light, and 250cc “C” Open. I was entered in 2 races 100cc Box Stock Heavy, and 100cc Box Stock Light.
  I had a big black X on the back of my helmet, “rookie watch out”. We did look racy in our White  Roll-o-Flex leathers. The 100cc were good for 90-100 MPH , Gene’s “C” open 125-130 MPH,  so we weren’t playing  tiddlywinks, it could get serious if you were not careful.
   The starting lineup was Lemans style with everybody lined up along the edge of the track.  When the flag would drop, everybody would be off.  I would start at the back of the Stock class of 16 karts, but in front of the Modifieds , 16 more. I had studied the flagman and knew his tells. I had intended to let everybody motor off and I would follow and stay out of trouble. With 32 karts with their engines screaming , waiting for the flag to drop, I sort of forgot the plan. I knew when the flag man was about to drop the flag.  It turned out that I was  1st into the first turn with 31 guys in a hurry right behind me. Now was not the time to think of brakes. Lucky for me the first person to pass me was Gene in his modified. He gave me the follow me signal over his shoulder.  I started to draft him, wherever he went I went too, 12 inches from his bumper, nearly 100 MPH, showing me the correct line and breaking points.  If I broke the draft Gene slowed a little to let me hook up again. Drafting together we were faster than apart. At the ½ way point of the race Gene waved goodbye and motored off.  He had a race to win.
 I drove on having a good time drafting anybody that passed me. The track was pool table smooth so to set your lines and breaking points was easier than snowmobiles or motorcycles. In the hour-long race it was easy to do what Gene taught me - be smooth, be consistent.   When the race was finished, Gene   had won his class. I had won mine; I had lapped everybody in my class 3 times on the 1 and 1/2 mile track.  It turned out that I had been drafting all the modifieds. I didn’t know better.
  Gene and I were right back at it in the next race.  When we finished,  Gene had  won his class again. This time I only took second.  After 2 hours, I had enough racing for one day. I got to sit back and watch Gene race for one more hour, his 3rd race of the day, the 250cc “C” open. It was obvious Gene knew his way around the track.  He won that race too.  I have a picture of us with our 5 trophies.
Gene was the master!
What a thrill I had, and how lucky I was to race with him and learn from him.
Wade           
GLAZE96

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »

I think I remember that weekend.I was 9 at the time but I do remember you being at Edmonton. Those where the best races. Some good fast racing.

Regina, Sask. 6 kids...OMG!!!!! lol
Grew up around sleds and Roll-O-Flex.
hope to own one soon.
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »

Thanks yet again Wade for another awesome story!!!!!

Arlen

Where The Wild Ones Are.
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »

I love this stuff!

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
GLAZE96

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »

|the Edmonton event was a big thing with us kids. On Friday night, we would all pile into the station wagon and try to get to sleep before mom and dad left for the trip. I think they thought that it would be easier for them if we were asleep for most of the trip.(didn't work, I just waited untill we were out of the city and I was sitting up in the back). So dad drove all night and with just a few hrs sleep, it was off to the track to get ready to race. My job was to hold up the chalk board with the lap times and the gap between him and the next kart. He kept all of us kids involved in some form. Not the greatest pit crew but the biggest chearing section at the track. I made some friends there and look back with fond memories. To have the video cameras back then that we have today........ Sad oh well.

hope to own one soon.
Gene5696

A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »

Here I am reporting in from sun shine and warmth.. (Arizona)   
Great story Wade... While reading your story and thinking back, those were very special days for me and my family.
My "pit-crew" were kept busy and (with my pit-crews permission) I have a few pictures I'll post when I get home in mid-May.

Wade... Could you please email me the pictures you mentioned you have ? My kids and I would love to see them. AND.. can you believe this ??.... I still have those trophy's !!!... but they are stored up in the rafters of the garage, very tarnished because they were sterling silver which is rare by to-days standards of trophy's.
While I'm here..... That Cherokee sled on e-bay... That is the only wide-track sled we made. It was an 18" wide.... in case anybody is interested.
Gotta go... Tee time soon...  Grin

Gene.     
340tnt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »

White Roll-o-Flex leather suit. Now I want one. Really bad.  Cool
GLAZE96

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »

I have no fear dad, post the pics. Grin

hope to own one soon.
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »

He was going to check his Karts out at the Kings Park Stock Car track at Boggy Creek  just outside of Regina  and asked if I would  like to go along. 

Wade, the remnants of that track can be seen still.  Our farm is only 3 miles north and 1 mile west of that track, right along the old #11 highway that goes all the way to Lumsden.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
Gene5696

A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37:12 AM »

I thought that I had better report in that I'm back home from Arizona. Two days later 2 inches of snow told me I came home 2 weeks too soon. 
I have promised some pictures to go with Wade's Go-kart story...
My "pit-crew" weren't overly excited about their outfits but were good sports to go along with Dad's choice. The other picture was taken in Calgary at the Exhibition Stadium. This was the twin engine kart that Wade referred to with the rear wing that I could operate on-the-go.
The two cycle engine experience I got in those days proved very usefull in the years ahead with the snowmobiles.
Gene Glaze.
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »

That cart is very cool. What did it weigh?

Where The Wild Ones Are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: