Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A kids point of view  (Read 3592 times)
GLAZE96

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »

I thought I would give a "kids' point of view of the early years. I remember that when we were living on the farm, we seemed to have sleds around but none of them were ours. Seems that dad was modding them for others. At that time most of them were Ski-doo's. Later, I think that he got involved with Sno Jet. I'm not sure in what form,but I remember a "Sno-Jet" sticker on the side of our car.Not to long after that, Roll-O-Flex became part of our lives. I don't remember being on the real early sleds, but I think the 72 models is when we started to have full use of.
   During the time between 72 and 74, I remember going to local races.By now I have seen dad race many times in the summer racing Go-Karts, so he was mt hero already.So when he started racing sleds, I was in heaven. I could watch him race all year long.From grass drags in the early years (I  can only remember a few) to oval racing later on. I don't remember many bad days at the track, but that just could have been me. From races at Fort Quapple's winter festival to Weyburn's Sun Dog days, I went to all that he would take me to.The sled that seemed to give me fits was the Sno-Jet "Thunder Jet" It always seemed to be up front with dad. I'm not sure if it beat him many times,but I was 12 at the time. The one race I always wanted to see him race in was the Regina to Minot Crooscountry race. But I never got the chance. We did get to watch the race together one year when he was a official and myself and my brother rode shot gun with him.
 Then there was the start of SnoPro.I do remember one of the sleds being built, even got to do some work on it. I put the rivets in on the left foot support so his foot would not slip off in the turns.( I think I was given this job just to shut me up. Wink )
Dad seemed excited to race in SnoPro. I remember when he came home and all the races were cancelled. He seemed disappointed that they were cancelled. then the faithfull weekend came that put him into the hospital. I could even tell that the track conditions were very poor as every time the sled came by, a white out condition engulfed the pack behind the leaders. Next thing I know, dad is being taken away in a ambulance with myself and my brother looking on. this ended my sledding days for a long time. I also remember the day that Roll-O-Flex was auctioned off. It was heart breaking to a kid that wanted to follow in his fathers foot steps.
  I hope dad can fill in some of the holes that I have left here and correct anything that I might have gotten wrong. Heck, I was only a kid you know.lol
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:30:55 PM by GLAZE96 » Logged

Regina, Sask. 6 kids...OMG!!!!! lol
Grew up around sleds and Roll-O-Flex.
hope to own one soon.
Gene5696

A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

Very good story Glaze96, but I have to add MY point of view on that "Fateful" weekend. Saying "the track conditions were very poor" is a slight understatement. We should have never raced on it to begin with and by not having any practice laps on the track... somebody should have told us there was a "chicane" at the end of the 1st. straightaway on this so-called "Oval-track". My accident was the result of it. It turned out to be a bad idea having my two young sons with me... as I was being taken via ambulance past my two sons standing on a snowbank was a gut wrenching helpless feeling. But, Barry Thuen took care of them and got them back to Regina even before I got there. Thanks again Barry.. !!
While I'm here, I have to tell the story of the ambulance experience. In hindsight, it has some comical moments.
They took me to either the Craik or Davidson hospital. To start off, the ambulance entrance was drifted in with snow and they couldn't get close to the entrance so they had to carry me over these drifts. My broken leg fell off the stretcher a couple of times. I audibly let them know it... a few times. X-rays were taken and they came in and said..."yep, the leg is broken". Hmmmm... when the ambulance guys got to me at the track, I was on my back with my right leg under me with my right foot pointing up and beside my head.... they needed an x-ray to tell them it was broken ??!! It was decided that I needed to be taken to a Regina hospital... but the ambulance that brought me couldn't take me so an local vehicle was ordered to come get me. Getting me back into this new vehicle was painfull as well. We finally get on the highway and away we go. BUT, the tires on this vehicle were sooo badly out of balance when we'd get over 50 m.p.h., my leg would vibrate and fall off the stretcher.... ouch again !! There was only the driver to yell at and I got him to stop and suggested he tie my legs together. Needless to say it was a long trip. Once we were in town I could see our reflection in the store windows as we drove by.... It was then that I could see that this vehicle was.... NOT an ambulance !! .... it was a hearse !! I guess the previous passengers never complained about the unbalanced tires.
When the hospital finally got me out of my clothes and sedated enough to quit screaming.... my two boys came in the room... they had been out in the hall all this time listening to Dad. NOT a great experience for them either. That was Jan. 4th (I think) and I got out on March 8th. There are more stories from that experience but too long to tell here... maybe at the reunion, if anybody is interested.
Gene.         
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »

another great one from the ROF archives Cheesy

I just about fell off the couch when I read that you were in a hearse!

I hope there are more at the reunion.

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: