Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Question for Wade and / or Gene.  (Read 9243 times)
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »

OK! This is the big one....... To the best of your knowledge how many fan GTX and how many free air GTX sleds were made in total? I am very interested in finding out. Even a best guess would help.

Thanks!

Where The Wild Ones Are.
Gene5696

A toast to all @ Roll-o-Flex.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »

Wow !!! Sorry we've been so long in replying to this.
My best guess would be a total of 300 of the white Wild One's.
Again, Wade should confirm.
Gene Glaze
pooch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »

..................  Someplace I read, 61 F/A s

Sno*Jet F/A Guru
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 05:06:13 PM »

Ha! I heard 200 total, 160 fan and about 40 free air. This was the number do to the fact a dealer had to buy 6 purple to get one white one. Problem is, at the auction sale anyone could have bought enough material to make their own white one. I think that is why we see some discrepancy in the way some are finished, like no tach, or a register cut in, primer, etc.

Where The Wild Ones Are.
_FIII
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »

So does that mean that there was around 1200 of the purple ones made?

Richard

Regina, SK

www.sasksnowmobile.com
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »

Maybe Richard. That is a question I am sure Gene could answer.

Where The Wild Ones Are.
saskatoon

1970 Wild One (Apache)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

I was talking with a guy from regina who was a sales rep for Rolo-Flex and he said they made 50 of the white GTX's before they closed down.
Kevin

Kevin Schwartz
kevinsch@sasktel.net
Gene5696

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »

I was talking with a guy from Regina who was a sales rep for Rolo-Flex and he said they made 50 of the white GTX's before they closed down.
Kevin
I have no official quantity numbers to dispute this, but I am pretty certain it was more than 50 of the White Ones... Also I do not recall using the "X" in the model name "GT"... Maybe Wade can recall better than I can.
I would certainly be interested in knowing who the Sales Rep was you talked to in Regina. Surely he'd be interested in attending the get-to-gether in July 2011.
Gene Glaze.
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »

Hello Gene! This last post of yours brings forth a question that has been asked of me many times: What were the 1974 white sleds called??? I don't believe that it was GTX either. I have no idea where that name came from, but that is what everyone seems to call them. Can you help here?Huh

Where The Wild Ones Are.
Gene5696

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »

Please take this as simply, "an educated guess" but what I recall is, all the white ones were named "Wild One" with the engine displacement number added. Such as, Wild One 340/440 etc. remember that I did have a vote in selecting the names but the "younger people" did the conceiving. I'd give Paddy, Brad, Wade and Larry, among others all that credit.
I still do not know when or where the "X" term came from. 
Where's Wade these days ? I'm sure he could straighten this out.
Gene Glaze.

WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »

OK. I am thinking that GT-X would have been a closer guess. The white sleds were going to be the new GT series?? And they were to have 4 different engines to choose from?? So before they had an engine they would have been a GT-X with the X being the unknown engine size?? I am just throwing this out there because it now seems to make sense ( to me anyway ). I think I am going to change the header of this section to " 1974 GT " or something like that. I think you are right Gene, if Wade was around between the two of you, this whole thing could be laid to rest!! Thanks for your quick response.

Where The Wild Ones Are.
Gene5696

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »

Your close, but actually our plans were for the "forward engined white ones" was to eventually replace ALL mid-engined models. And yes, there would have been GT models using the higher performance motors. I am very certain my 1974 Sno-Pro 340/440 sled(s) would have been introduced as production GT models for the 1975/76 model year with very little changes. Aluminum vs. Titanium etc. As I recall the color choice of white was only to speed up availability of the new hoods. These hoods were produced by a different company and getting the color match to the burgundy was not all that easy. Eventually we would have gone to the same burgundy color as it was very popular with our marketing dealers.
Gene.     
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »

Ha! So we are back to square one. Would it be fair to say then that you were going back to the beginning and going to simply have the model of this sled be the " Wild One "? I have tons of info on this machine from sales brochures to articles from magazines/newspapers and I don't think I have ever seen the " GTX " in print. It would be nice to have correct model designation though. Then maybe I could sleep at night...............

Where The Wild Ones Are.
wc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »

Richard and Gene
    I don't recall any of our machines being designated as GTX . Wild One was the name of the White machine as far as I can remember. Some of the distributers in the East did strange things to market machines, so mabe the GTX came from them.
      Wade   
WildOne
Roll-O-Flex Collector
Administrator

Let's Get Wild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »

Hello Wade!! Welcome back. I was starting to worry about you. I have changed the name of this category to 1974 Wild One. I think is is more suiting, and obviously more correct. Thanks to Wade and Gene for clearing this up, it has been on my mind for a long time.

Where The Wild Ones Are.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: